Pymore is referred to in the Domesday Book and by the 14th century had a flour mill powered by the River Brit. The land around was owned by Robert de Pymore.
By the 17th century the rope making industry was established and the population of Pymore was engaged in rope and twine making.
The flax and hemp needed for the industry were grown in nearby fields. Rope walks were set up near the mill pond.
In 1834 81 people were employed; 63 female and 18 male as well as young pauper apprentices who were expected to work 50 hours per week. The working adults worked 69 hours per week. (Bridport Local History Centre Archives)
By 1870 Pymore had a school, donated by the Gundry family as well as a hostel for working girls.
With the introduction of synthetic materials in the 1950s the rope works lost business and most of the villagers moved away in search of other employment.